Alright, so here is the day 5 of the 31 day “break up with meat” challenge that I’ve been running on Instagram!
BBQ Porto Ribs!
Mushrooms have a distinct flavor and an amazing capacity to soak in all the different tastes of the sauces they’re marinated in. For this recipe, we are mimicking the flavor of pork ribs but instead using portobello mushrooms and a raw sauce to make the nutrition go through the roof! 🙂
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
3 – 4 tbsp. date/coconut sugar (or date paste)
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp – 1 tbsp chili powder (depends on how hot you like it)
2 cloves garlic (peeled)
1/4 – 1 tsp cayenne (depends on taste)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp oil
Black Pepper to taste
1. Put the sun dried tomatoes into a small bowl and add enough water to cover them to rehydrate (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup of water). Let sit for 1 – 2 hours.
2. Cut the portobello mushrooms into strips like “ribs.” Set aside in a dish you can pour sauce into (a shallow Pyrex casserole dish will do) or onto a teflex sheet on your dehydrator tray (see step 6 for why).
(Time to Make the sauce!)
3. Reserve the water from the sun dried tomatoes! Drain them and set the water aside.
4. Add the tomatoes, dates, paprika, chili powder, garlic, cayenne, vinegar, and oil to the blender.
5. Add enough sun dried tomato water to blend the sauce. Keep adding water until you get the consistency you prefer (thick, runny, it’s your sauce!)
6. (Option 1): Once the sauce is done, pour half of it over the portobello strips in the dish. Let it marinate overnight for added flavor!
(Option 2): instead of putting the strips into a dish, put them on the dehydrator sheet and put the sauce on top so you can immediately begin dehydrating the portobellos and letting the flavors sink in.
7. Dehydrate overnight – you want the strips still juicy and soft! Once the strips are done, remove them from the dehydrator.
8. Put the food on your serving plate. Pour the other half of the sauce over the top and enjoy! Better with your fingers and a few wet naps but any way you like it will do!
😉 did you like this recipe? Let me know! And if you have your own raw sauce, share it in the comments or use that instead! There are so many good ones so I hope you like the spicy sweet one I provided here!
Enjoy your break up with meat challenge- who said that you couldn’t enjoy yourself just because you don’t eat animals? Clearly they haven’t tried the food! 😉